Kylemore Abbey is a Benedictine monastery founded in 1920 on the grounds of Kylemore Castle. The abbey was founded for Benedictine Nuns who fled Belgium in WWI.
Kylemore Castle was built as a private home for the family of Mitchell Henry. A wealthy doctor from London. He became a politician when he moved to Ireland. Construction began in 1867 and took four years to complete. About 40,000 square feet. Over 70 rooms. There is a Gothic cathedral and family mausoleum containing the bodies of Mitchell Henry and Margaret Henry.
The Abbey remained in Henry’s estate after he returned to England. The castle was sold to the Duke and Duchess of Manchester in 1909. In 1920 the Irish Benedictine Nuns purchased the Abbey after they were forces to flee Ypres, Belgium during WWI. There was an international boarding school and a day school for local girls. The school closed in June 2010.
The Estate includes large walled Victorian Gardens. Since the 1970’s the gardens have been open to the public to tour and for nature walks.
Connemara National Park. One of six National Parks in the Republic of Ireland. Founded and opened to the public in 1980. Mountains, bogs, heaths, grasslands, and forests. There is a 19th century graveyards as well as 4,000 year old megalithic (large stones) court tombs. The majority of the land was once part of the Kylemore Abbey estate.
Kylemore means “The Big Wood”.
Approx. 40,000 square feet, 70 rooms, 33 bedrooms, and lit by electricity.
Location, location and location.
The Sacred Heart Statue
Inside Kylemore Abbey
Victorian Walled Garden
(Photos by RSheridan)