Cork means “marsh”. Located in the South-West Region and in the Province of Munster. The 2nd largest city in Ireland. The city is built on the River Lee, which divides into two channels at the western end of the city. The city center is located on the island created by the channels. Cork Harbour is one of the world’s largest natural harbours.
Places of Interest
- St. Patrick’s Street. The main street of the city and is the main shopping thoroughfare.
- The English Market. A covered market with origins back to 1610. The present building dates from about 1786.
- The Church Tower of Shandon. Cork’s most famous building that is on the north side of the city. The symbol of the city. The north and east sides are faced in red sandstone and the west and south sides are faced in white limestone. At the top of the tower sits a weather vane in the shape of an eleven-foot salmon.
- Cork Opera House. An opera house and theatre. Built in 1855. The opera house burned down in 1955 and was rebuilt in 1963.
- University College Cork. The River Lee flows through the grounds.
- The Blarney Stone. A block of Carboniferous limestone built into the battlements of Blarney Castle. The stone was set into a tower of the castle in 1446. The legend behind kissing the stone endows the kisser with the gift of the gab (great eloquence or skill at flattery).
- Cobh. The port where many Irish emigrants boarded for their voyage to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, or the United States. Also, the last stop of the Titanic before departing on its fated journey.
- Our Lady’s Psychiatric Hospital has been renovated and converted into a residential housing complex called Atkins Hall.
- St. Mary’s Cathedral. The Catholic cathedral of the city and founded in 1808. Its distinctive tower was added in the 1860’s.
- Saint Fin Barre’s Cathedral. Serves the Protestant faith.
- Red Abbey. A remnant of the Medieval era.
- Franciscan Well Brewery. Lagers, ales and stouts. Great pizza place off their patio area.
- Murphy’s Brewery.
- Elizabeth Fort. A 17th century star fort off Barrack Street. Built as a defensive fortification on high ground outside the city walls and the city eventually grew around the fort. Used as a military barracks, prison and police station. As of January 2014, the fort is under development as a tourism heritage site.
- Fitzgerald’s Park. The original site of the 1902 International Exhibition held in Cork. Named after Lord Mayor, Edward Fitzgerald. Located on the banks of the River Lee.
The River Lee
St. Fin Barre’s Cathedral
Beautiful accommodations and enjoyed being up on the 5th floor to take in the scenic views.
Had Dinner here the 1st night; grilled lobster and a bottle of Beaujolais red wine.
(Photos by RSheridan)