What I Learned From Alice
Do you have a book character that you relate to or at least have learned from?
I read Alice in Wonderland as a little girl and it is still a favorite of mine! Nothing better than a tale of a girl who falls down a rabbit hole into a wonderland with interesting characters and creatures!
My Favorite Chapters
- Chapter 1 – Down the Rabbit Hole. Is falling down the rabbit hole an adventure or not so much? A clothed White Rabbit with a pocket watch?!?
- Chapter 5 – Advice from a Caterpillar. A Blue Caterpillar sitting on a mushroom and smoking a hookah – who would have thought?!?
- The Queen of Hearts. “Off With Your Head!”
- Chapter 6 – Pig and Pepper. Introduction of the Cheshire Cat. “He disappears but his grin remains behind to float on its own in the air prompting Alice to remark that she has often seen a cat without a grin but never a grin without a cat.”
- Chapter 7 – A Mad Tea Party. Who does not love a party, right? “The Hatter reveals that they have tea all day because Time has punished him by eternally standing still at 6 pm (tea time).” Imagine if time was stuck at 6 pm!
- Chapter 11 – Who Stole the Tarts? Nothing better than a sneaked sweet treat!
- “Wonderland” is truly a great place to nap and dream the afternoon away!
Lesson #1 – Travel, Explore, Adventure
As little girls, Alice and I both had a sense of curiosity! I just connected with Alice in so many ways. I loved to explore and have an adventure too! The natural beauty of the Great Outdoors speaks to me on so many levels too. I thought my dolls, my stuffed animals and my pets made for a pretty good cast of characters, like in the book!
Lesson #2 – Dreaming and Imagining
I will never stop dreaming! Books open and expand my world. Books are a great escape from reality into fantasy. I loved playing dress-up and make-believe growing up. I love letting my imagination GO WILD!
Lesson #3 – Life is not a bed of roses and you may encounter a Queen of Hearts.
I will feel bored and lonely. I will feel rejected and isolated by myself and others. The “true key” to unlocking those doors is listening to myself and not others in order to make good choices and live the good life! The “true eat or drink” to growing as a person is to accept myself. In being thankful and grateful for what I do have it gives me happiness, joy and pleasure.
Lesson #4 – Friendships
The BEST thing is that there is an Alice inside of me! I am sure others can relate to that too. It is what is in the inside that counts! Friendships and those connections matter, especially when you discover a true BFF, a sister or a kindred spirit. Even when you relate to a character in a book and learn from that character it is a MAGICAL experience!
Lesson #5 – Celebrate
Life is way too short to NOT Celebrate it! I enjoy a good party with dancing, eats, drinks, and sweets. I love figuring out the different roles people play at parties (i.e. life of the party, wallflower, dancer, etc.). Let’s have a little more FUN in life too!
(Photos by RSheridan)
Imagine if time was STUCK at 6 pm! No thank you. I enjoy stretching my comfort zone and trying new things. Time is too PRECIOUS to waste!